Wednesday 2 January 2013

Day One: Beginning Again


I'm starting off this year honestly in telling you that I did not want to get out of bed this morning.

I did not want to start a whole new year....again.

The whole idea of it felt...well, daunting really.

I've never really been a big New Years person and I don't usually make new years resolutions. 

Last year I did conquer a few mountains that needed to be conquered and I'm proud of that. But starting all over again...oy!

In six days the kids will go back to school and I will have to get back to real life again. And that scares me a little. We've had a lovely Christmas holiday so far. The kids have been fabulous (and sleeping in...this is a Christmas miracle!) but I'm beginning to realize that I have the makings of a recluse. I fight the desire to just stay in my house and hide away every day. Don't get me wrong, I am a social person. I actually love people and have a great time with friends and family. But sometimes, most times, I'm just plain tired. I don't want to plaster a smile on my face and go out there and brave the world. I want to stay in where it's safe, and quiet, and...safe.

At the same time, I keep feeling like I should be more involved with different things (like church, friends, outreach, etc.) but when I pray about each of them I feel like God is saying "wait".

Wait for what? 

So last night, as I laid in bed trying to fall asleep, I "got real" with God and asked Him what it is that I'm supposed to be doing. And I suddenly remembered the "Jesus Calling" app I had downloaded on my phone, so I opened it. I started on December 27 suitably entitled "I Am Preparing You" (God has a great sense of timing...and humor).  It read;
"I am preparing you for what is on the road ahead, just around the bend. Take time to be still in my presence so that I can strengthen you."
I read on to; "How much better it is to walk close to Me, depending on My strength and trusting Me in every situation. If you live in this way, you will do less but accomplish far more."

Okay, so I get it.

"Wait."

I can do that.

Our Joy Jar of 2012


P.S.  In the summer, while waiting in a doctor's office, I read about starting a "Joy Jar". It sounded great so I came home and announced that we were starting one. I explained that whenever anything good happened to us, as a family or individually, or if we are thankful for something, we write it down on a piece of paper with our name and put it in the Joy Jar. On New Years Eve, we'll take turns reading them out.

Maggie reading the first entry in our Joy Jar


We read ours today after breakfast, and after the traditional breaking of our gingerbread village. And I have to say, it was wonderful! We all enjoyed it and look forward to filling our joy jar even more in 2013.

Isaiah's turn to read

Highly recommend the Joy Jar!

Fiona's Joy Jar Entry: KAYAK (she tried kayaking for the first time this summer and loved it)



P.S.S.  My kids woke up this morning and cleaned their rooms without being asked. 

And I would have to say...that's a pretty nice way to start 2013.

God bless you as your start this new year in Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. Would love to hear from you!